FIT & LIT 2011

Happy New Year to all!

We are about to begin our big Reading and Exercising Incentive Program … FIT & LIT … this will be our 6th year!

This year we have decided to have a collective goal … to Read and Exercise around the Earth 50 times!  This means that we have to read/exercise 1,245,050 minutes.  Do you think we can do it?  I do; but it will take all of us, our whole school community, to meet this goal over the next 6 weeks.  The program will run from Thursday, January 6 through Friday,  February 18th.  On the 18th of February, we will hold our annual “Read Your Heart Out Day”; a favorite of the students and staff.

We begin on Thursday, January 6th with our kick-off assembly.  As usual, we will have a special guest to help get us get started on our quest.  Henrietta Chicken will be reading a story to the students, about her of course, and the importance of knowing how to read … “Reading can save your lives!”  The book is by Mary Jane and Herm Auch called Souperchicken.  The younger students will love the story and the older students will love the play on words that happens throughout the book, including the title of the book.

My fingers are black and blue from sewing all these red feathers on the costume I will be wearing as Henrietta.  I guess there isn’t much a wouldn’t do to inspire students to read, especially dress up like a chicken!  I’m not doing too well with walking like a chicken … can’t seem to coordinate my head with my feet.  Oh well, maybe they won’t notice because I will look so silly.

Our student council students will be demonstrating some ideas for exercising and showing the students some cool dance steps to a song by the Black Eyed Peas.  More to come on this after the assembly on Thursday.

So, why not make this a New Year’s Resolution?  Join us on our 6 weeks of exercising our WHOLE bodies and have some fun.

Happy Reading and Exercising!

Mrs. Chase (alias Henrietta Chicken)